
Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton photographs his throng of fans during the fan pit lane walk at the U.S. Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas on Thursday Oct. 22, 2015. JAY JANNER / AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Two-time defending world champion Lewis Hamilton has weighed in on Formula One, joining a growing list of prominent voices saying the motorsport needs to be fixed.
The F1 commission announced last week changes to the qualifying format that it hopes to have in place by the start of the 2016 season — the March 20 Australian Grand Prix. Those could add excitement to F1 weekends.
The commission was unable to agree on changes to the technical regulations for 2017.
F1 mogul Bernie Ecclestone has criticized the racing. Earlier this week driver Fernando Alonso said he was saddened by the current complexity of F1.
Hamilton, the 31-year-old British superstar, threw in his two cents. When asked in a media session if he would describe F1 as being “broken, lacking direction, or in rude health”, Hamilton said: “I would probably say the first two you suggested.”
Hamilton, who has won F1 championships in 2008, ’14 and ’15, said he would like to try out a classic F1 car and get a taste of the machinery his predecessors used.
“I don’t really want to say too much about it, but I do agree with those first two things,” Hamilton said.
“I do have desire, I’m dying to be able to drive one of those older cars. Maybe I’ll do some historic racing at some point.”
Hamilton also expressed an interest in trying out a MotoGP bike at one point, and said that he felt the series was more exciting to watch than F1.
“MotoGP is just so cool, much more exciting to watch, I would say, just because it’s closer racing,” Hamilton said.
“I really need to try a MotoGP bike. I’m dying to at least get on the back of one. That would be so cool. I just won’t tell my team that I’m doing it.”
Well, Lewis, have we got a deal for you.
We know you like coming to Circuit of the Americas in Austin. COTA holds a three-day MotoGP weekend April 8-10 — which just happens to be an off week on the F1 calendar.
More than likely, Austinites won’t see Hamilton until Oct. 21-23 with the tentatively scheduled U.S. Grand Prix at COTA. We say “tentatively” because contract deals still need to be worked out.
